Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » PinSimDB.org & GoPinball.com sites » Bug report and feature requests

Post subject: A few suggestions for PinSimBD.
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:41 pm 

Hi moderators and site managers,

I thought that I might make a few suggestions to make navigating the PinSimDB site and understanding it's contents a little easier for the users.

1) Naming convention: This has been requested many years ago, I know, but with more and more tables on offer and more authors creating them, there should be some kind of naming convention for the files themselves. IDescriptions can remain the posters' choice, but something like "Table name (once), manufacturer, year of release, version number" for the actual file names would be desirable by many users. I think a lot of users confuse the physics version number with the table version in the file name. Also, some file names are impossibly long and if created in a unix OS, some of the characters used, are read as "illegal" by the Windows OS, which is after all, the most popular and widely used OS, further frustrating users. one of my favourite examples of this is this one:
"aliens_legacy_ultimate-aliens_legacy_ultimate_1_02_zedpinball_physics_1_0"
And are underscores necessary today? Perhaps so. But if they did not need to be used, it would make reading the file name a lot easier if they could be omitted.
Each file has a table info field, which could be better used to include ancillary info such as physics versions, as well as the physics version type. Authors should to be encouraged to use this, but it's hard to police, I understand.
Alternatel;y, the site could be divided into physics versions so that the appropriate creations be placed therein. Just a thought, that last bit.

2)Comments section: There seems to be a lot of erroneous links inserted in amongst the comments that have nothing to do with pinball, let alone the tables. These should really be purged and links forbidden in the comments,as the vast majority of comments are simple thank-you's with a few table running queries and lots of cudos.

That's all at this point. I hope the suggestions are helpful.

Cheers,

Nursie.

Post subject: Re: A few suggestions for PinSimBD.
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:08 am 

greynurse wrote:
1) Naming convention: ...
I think a lot of users confuse the physics version number with the table version in the file name.

I have to agree it's a little bit confusing.
Quote:
Each file has a table info field, which could be better used to include ancillary info such as physics versions, as well as the physics version type. Authors should to be encouraged to use this, but it's hard to police, I understand.

In the table itself, you have a splendid section named "table info". I always complete this section but almost nobody read it...
Quote:
Alternatel;y, the site could be divided into physics versions so that the appropriate creations be placed therein. Just a thought, that last bit.

As you have a hudge number of physics (and versions for a physic), it could become unreadable.
Quote:
2)Comments section: There seems to be a lot of erroneous links inserted in amongst the comments that have nothing to do with pinball, let alone the tables. These should really be purged and links forbidden in the comments,as the vast majority of comments are simple thank-you's with a few table running queries and lots of cudos.

It's just spam but it's very difficult to remove them. Recently, I read table by table (just the first page) the comments in order to purge the bad ones. It taked a long time. And I discovered you have not only bad comments, but bad tables (only 3-4).
I just created a post named "Spam at PinSimDB": just post the name of the table to be corrected.

Le prix s'oublie, la qualité reste

Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:45 am 

I go through recent tables and purge bad comments several times a week...I went through some of TerryReds Dof tables last night

Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:48 am 

Thanks for the comments, Popotte, always appreciated. And I will use that post if I find non table related spam in future.

Wow, Gimli. It shows just how much spam is being posted. Some people just have no respect!
Cheers,
:D
Nursie

Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:42 am 

greynurse wrote:
Wow, Gimli. It shows just how much spam is being posted. Some people just have no respect!

Just a few comparing spams posted here...

Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:14 pm 

There is a lot of spam on PinSimDB. I have deleted a great deal of it myself. I have noticed spam on very old postings. It seems to be uncontrollable.

I remember "The Nalex" said he could make it impossible to post links in the comments. I would be in favor of doing that. I have seen very few legit postings that have links although there are a few. Eliminating links would not actually prevent spam from getting posted but it would eliminate the motive for posting it.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:28 am 

Here, it's more than 50 spams by day...

Board index » PinSimDB.org & GoPinball.com sites » Bug report and feature requests