Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » Tables WIP

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: JungleGirl (WIP)
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:36 pm 

blue wrote:
... the target moved with a hit even though it shouldn't.

This makes sense. The ball on my table the ball seems to have a bit of a kick to it when it bounces off the target. The movement might be the result of the kick.

blue wrote:
My wall was a full 1 mm in front, yet it appears that the target collision was still happening. So I wrote some debug code, and went to see what happens. Sure enough, even moving the targets a bit more out, the targets are still registering a hit with a ball over 1500 speed, though it's erratic sometimes. I have a couple theorys here based on taking videos and looking at them in slow motion.

1. FP is crippleware crap (The most likely one)
2. Your curved walls work better because it appears the center portion of the targets may have the wrong collision shape attached to it.
3. The ball at higher speeds is actually sinking into the unrendered walls. I've had this problem a few times myself with JG, where the ball just ignores a wall and gets stuck. The physics of the wall are being ignored or overwritten when the ball instead passes through the wall and uses the target collision instead.
4. The target property may have the exact same bug that bumpers have, in other words there may be a randomizer on the amount of bounce, but set to +- 50% instead of 5%. Makes sense as the ball can bounce at totally random speeds.

I would say it is probably a result of all 4. I originally set the wall so it was equally spaced out in front of the target with no curve. I curved the walls on mine because of the odd trajectory the ball would take after hitting near the ends of the wall. I was actually expecting the ball to bounce more off the sides because of the shorter distance but that didn't happen. ...So I started thinking along the lines of your number 2 above.

I have however noticed your number 3 many times in the past. If the wall blocked the ball totally, having a space between the wall and the target would not register a hit. ...So either the wall moves a bit or the ball passes through it a bit.

Your number 4 is the reason for the ball speed changing the collidability of the wall so the wall is off at low speed.

blue wrote:
I had to do a couple new things with them, but actually the effect is a bit nicer and doesn't seem to screw up as much. Hate having to use up more objects, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.
Frustrating sometimes that we have to go through so much stuff just to get basic working things that should have been working right since day 1. Next time, I'm just using pegs that look like targets.

If you are using a relatively current version of BAM, you will not encounter the 800 object limit.

blue wrote:
Actually, those damn gates are acting up again, so I'm wondering if someone could create a set of gate objects as something else and the code to "open" and "close" them. I'm just going to remove my gates that are still there and replace them with walls and a image, and never use those damn gates ever again.

I have been using 2 sets of settings for gates. I try to use these settings:

<gate mass=".1" gravity="500.0" damping=".25"></gate>

If I have problems with the gates, I use these settings which doesn't always fix the problems but is usually better:

<gate mass="0.010" gravity="100" damping="0.25"></gate>

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:32 pm 

It's the angle of the gates and a bad collision mesh that's the cause. I'm tired of messing around with that, spent days on it and just not worth it when I can fix it for certain in 10 minutes and never worry about it again. The one nice thing about fp and it's physics is people will give us a lot more leeway and be more understanding if we come up with solutions like that if that means FP plays better or just doesn't mess up as much.

Latest projects and rants at My Facebook Page

Latest Project: fpxEngine

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:37 pm 

Code:
If xBAM.Ball.Speed > 2000 then xBAM.BallSpeedLimit = 1000

BallSpeedLimit can only be set once and that's it. It's a const I guess. Shame, but them's the breaks so the code will have to handle all speeds with a forced setting.

The problem seems to be noticeable at 1500 ballspeed so easy enough. Thanks Gimli.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:40 pm 

Blue,

I have found that increasing the softnessCoef for plastic material helps the targets. I set the softnessCoef to 0.2 and elasticCoef to 0.05. It seems strange to set the softnessCoef higher than rubber but it seems to help. I ended up removing the walls in front of the targets because they sometimes make the target not register a hit. I could move the walls closer to the target but that defeats the purpose. Changing the material parameters this way still results in the rare wild bounce off of the ball but the same problem occurs with the walls. If this doesn't work for you, try increasing the softnessCoef some and set the wall in front of the target to plastic also. I ended up using this code to make the walls work but I probably won't use it:

Sub EnumBallsCallback(ball)
If Ball.Speed > 2000 Then
TrigWall1.Collidable = true
TrigWall2.Collidable = true
End If
End Sub

Sub NewtonPhysicsTick()
TrigWall1.Collidable = false
TrigWall2.Collidable = false
xBAM.EnumBalls
End Sub

George

Post Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:48 pm 

Your going to get that wild bounce no mater what.If you remember, I speculated there's a random percentage attached to certain objects that increases the variation of the bounce by 50%, instead of 5%
I will look at the code George, but family matters just happened, and then I am gone for a while afterwards on vacation. On top of that, my next update to one of my games I feel is far better use of the time, so I may just mark JG as final for the time being and just upload it.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:05 am 

oh, one other thing you may not know. In FP, with targets especially drop targets, they lose their hit state if they are in the process of moving (such as popping up and popping down) though their collidable will still work. That's why there is so much insane objects and coding, to try and get around that.

If you remove the code and the objects, the game will screw up about 1 in 4 times, and not register a hit. With what I have added, it's 1 in 10 especially the inlines. If you look at the code, you see the drops don't score on a skillshot with just a target hit, but also with 2 triggers and at the light state the bulb is on.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:25 am 

The targets I am working with are not drop targets, just targets. I am pretty sure I will remove the walls and just use the weird softnessCoef of 0.2. ..But your family comes first and you need to be with them. All this FP stuff is secondary.

George

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Board index » Future Pinball » Tables WIP